A distribution certificate identifies your team/organization within a distribution App Provisioning profile and allows you to submit your app to the Apple App Store.
The workflow for developing and distributing iOS apps can be complex and difficult to understand. This article explain the steps needed to manage certificates and provisioning profiles and assist developer who are starting to develop in-house iOS apps.
A provisioning profile is a collection of digital entities that uniquely ties developers and devices to an authorized iPhone Development Team and enables a device to be used for testing.
The following steps describe the high level activities required to manage and distribute apps.
- Manage Certificates for development and production
- Create certificate for Development
- Create certificate for Production
- Register AppId and DeviceId
- Add Device ID’s
- Register AppID’s
- Create App Provisioning Profiles for Project
- Create Provisioning Profile for Developement & Production
- Apply AppID to Provisioning Profile
- Apply Certificate to App Provisioning Profile
- Download Profile and add it in Xcode
Step 1: Login
Go to https://developer.apple.com and click on Account (you must have an Apple Developer account to begin)
1. Click Log In, choose Select Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles
Step 2 : create Certificate
On the left menu select Certificates
1. Select add button “+” at the top right to create a new Certificate
2. Select “iOS Distribution (App Store and Ad Hoc)” and press Continue
3. Developers will need to generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) from their keychain and perform the Request Certificate function. Then select Signing certificate and Generate and Download certificate.
4. Click on Downloaded Certificate, it will added to KeyChain.
Step 3 : RegisterAppID
Step 4 : Create App Provisioning Profile
On the left tab under Provisioning Profiles, select Distribution
1. Select add button “+” at the top right to create a new profile
2. Select “App Store” and press Continue
3. Select App ID and press Continue
4. Select the Certificate you wish to include in this provisioning profile (the certificate the app was signed with) and click Continue. Next, select the devices you wish to include in the provisioning profile. The certificate is a public/private key-pair, which identifies who developed the app.
5. Create a name for your profile and click Generate. You might want to include “Distribution” in the name so you can distinguish this one from testing.
6. Download Your Profile and by clicking it will be added to Xcode.